We are a non-profit, nonpartisan political organization made up of men and women from Detroit, Hamtramck, and Highland Park. We endorse neither candidates nor political parties, but strive to make members of our community better informed at the ballot box; we do this by encouraging reasoned and active participation in local, state, and national politics.
The mission of LWV Detroit is to engage our communities by registering new voters and providing educational opportunities regarding governance, decision-making, and public policy.
We envision a democracy where every person has the desire, the right, the knowledge, and the confidence to participate.
The LWV of Detroit will act to inspire good government and transparency so that government is responsive to the needs of its people. We will do this by providing candidate forums, policy studies, and tools to encourage an informed citizenry to participate actively in the political process.
The LWV of Detroit believes in the power of people to create a more perfect democracy. As such, we adhere to specific core values:
- We are a nonpartisan political membership organization.
- We believe grassroots initiatives and consensus building are the strengths of our organization.
- We believe our organization models the principles of good governance.
- We consider well before taking action and prepare well before beginning to act.
- We believe citizenship requires knowledge as well as the ability and will to act.
- We believe the responsibility of good government rests on the shoulders of its citizens.
- We believe the rights of citizens at home and abroad are interdependent.
Tenant Council Elections
As a fundraiser, LWV Detroit will hold elections for housing units who need to elect Tenant Councils. We conduct the election, count the ballots, help the participants with the ballot if needed, report on the results, and certify the elections. Often the Housing unit needs to establish that they have a duly elected Tenant Council before approaching HUD for assistance in disputes with the housing unit management. We help them prove that the elections were fair, impartial, and equitable.